Facts and Figures
- With over 28,000 students and c6,000 staff, the Cardiff University academic community is the size of a small town.
- It is a community with an annual turnover of over £425 million. (Correct as at November 2012).
- Research is undertaken in each of the 26 Schools, and at any one time there are more than 1,800 research contracts in operation.
- The University has over 5,000 study bedrooms in 14 residences.
- Some 8,850 awards were made in 2011/2012
More detailed information can be found below:
Our close links with employers and professional bodies and the recognised high quality of our teaching and learning ensure that Cardiff graduates are equipped with the transferable skills, knowledge and attitudes that employers look for.
As a result Cardiff continues to be targeted by employers seeking high calibre graduates. Each year around 90 percent of graduates enter employment or professional training/postgraduate study shortly after graduating.
The most recent known destinations of Cardiff's graduates is as follows:
- 90% of graduates go on to Employment / Further Study
- 3% of graduates were not available for work
- 7% of graduates are unemployed
"At Jaguar Land Rover we have built a very successful relationship with Cardiff University. We have been very impressed with how prepared and motivated the students are at the events we attend. We are encouraged to see students from their first year onwards starting to think about their career and opportunities, which is a credit to the Careers & Employability Service. We have already recruited a number of Graduates and Undergraduates into our business from Cardiff University and hope this relationship continues.”
Laura Wigley - Graduate Recruitment Manager, Jaguar Land Rover
Student Numbers 2012/13
Cardiff is a university of first choice among high calibre students and currently there are:
- 20,611 Undergraduates
- 7,133 Postgraduates
- 27,744 in Total
NB. Student numbers are totals, not full time equivalents.
Student Accommodation 2012/13
With a wide range of residences, providing approximately 5300 study bedrooms, Cardiff University students can apply for residences which best suit their particular preferences, interests and budgets.
Approximately 70% of study bedrooms have their own en-suite shower and toilet facilities and all study bedrooms (except in Student Houses/Flats) have Cardiff academic computer network connection points.
Some residences have on-site facilities including launderettes, social centre and sports centre.
- 14 Halls of Residence, with 4,994 student places
- Student Houses/Flats, with 368 student places
- 5,362 student places in Total
Staff Numbers 2012/13
The University has 6,150 staff, in the categories as shown below:
|Academic & Research||2,189||888|
|Managerial, Professional and Specialist Staff||1,044||278|
Updated annually - correct as at November 2012