Sex (Gender) Equality
Cardiff University is committed to supporting, developing and promoting equality and diversity in all of its practices and activities. The University aims to establish an inclusive culture free from discrimination and based upon the values of dignity, courtesy and respect. The University recognises the right of every person to be treated in accordance with these values.
The Equality Act 2010 provides rights for men and women not to be discriminated against (treated less favourably) on the grounds of sex (gender). It is against the law to discriminate, harass or victimise a student (current, prospective or past), a member of staff (potential, current or past) or visitor to the University because of their sex.
As part of its equality agenda Cardiff University aims to:
- provide a University environment that is inclusive and promotes dignity and respect;
- eliminate sexist bullying and harassment against staff and students by ensuring that all members of the University community have the skills to recognise and challenge such behaviour and that effective procedures are used to deal fairly with cases if they occur
- aim for a workforce where women and men are represented at all levels of the workforce and in all areas of work and effective use is made of talent in the workforce
- implement actions to ensure equal pay
- ensure that staff and student support services meet the needs of men, women and trans persons and are accessible
- create an inclusive learning, teaching and research environment that minimises barriers to participation and meets the needs of a wide range of students including groups traditionally underserved by higher education or underrepresented in subject or employment choice
- assess the equality impact of existing and proposed policies, practices, procedures and initiatives on all stakeholders using the University’s equality impact assessment toolkit
Further information about the University’s Equality Objectives is included in the Strategic Equality Plan: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/govrn/cocom/equalityanddiversity/stratequalplan/index.html
If you have any questions of comments please contact Catrin Morgan, Equality & Diversity Manager (Governance and Compliance): MorganCa5@cf.ac.uk or 029 2087 0230.
Cardiff University’s commitment to women in science has been recognised with a national accolade.
The University has received the Athena Swan Bronze Award in recognition of its success in recruiting, retaining and promoting women in Science, Engineering and Technology (SET).
Cardiff is one of only 19 universities nationwide to have been awarded a prestigious bronze award of 2009 under the Athena SWAN Charter for Women in Science.
The Charter commends good employment practice for women working in science, engineering and technology (SET) in higher education and research.
For more information, please see http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/humrs/Athena_swan/athenaswan.html