Religion and other beliefs
Cardiff University is committed to supporting, developing and promoting equality and diversity in all of its practices and activities. The University aims to establish an inclusive culture free from discrimination and based upon the values of dignity, courtesy and respect. The University recognises the right of every person to be treated in accordance with these values. Such an environment cannot be created or sustained if staff or students are subject to any type of discrimination because of their faith, religious affiliation, philosophical beliefs or non-belief.
Cardiff is a multicultural city in which many religious faiths are practiced. Cardiff University is a secular organisation that welcomes all people regardless of their religions, philosophical beliefs and faiths and is strongly committed to promoting equality of opportunity in all its activities.
The University seeks to ensure that:
- The University’s policies for student and staff are based on relevant criteria that promote equality and do not discriminate on grounds of religion, religious or philosophical belief or non-belief
- Individuals and groups are treated with dignity and fairness whatever their religious and/or philosophical beliefs may be.
- There are informal and formal complaints procedures in place to raise complaints of discrimination relating to religion or philosophical belief
- Where possible, appropriate facilities are provided and service accessibility is considered to meet the spiritual and religious needs of all staff and students.
- It promotes a positive University environment in which open and constructive debate is encouraged
- It cultivates a supportive environment for staff and students in which all who wish to can express and practice their religious or philosophical beliefs
- It does not tolerate discrimination, harassment, bullying or victimisation on grounds of religion or philosophical belief
Further information about the University’s Equality Objectives is included in the Strategic Equality Plan: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/govrn/cocom/equalityanddiversity/stratequalplan/index.html
If you have any questions of comments please contact Catrin Morgan, Equality & Diversity Manager (Governance and Compliance): MorganCA5@cf.ac.uk or 029 2087 0230.
Cardiff University Multi-Faith Chaplaincy:
Cardiff University has a multi-faith Chaplaincy that aims to provide a place of friendship, hospitality, reflection, support, and dialogue. Further information is available on the Chaplaincy web pages: http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/chaplaincy/