Connecting to the GRID from the University campus
All requests for GRID connections must be approved by the GRID Technical Group (GRIDTECH-L@Cardiff.ac.uk) and signed by your Local Computing Representative or their nominee. For full details including system and EIC requirements please read the following guide.
Once you have been granted approval, a GRID Permission to Connect form must also be completed and returned to Information Services.
100Mbps GRID Connection
To request a 100Mbps GRID connection you must:
- Identify the UTP outlet number (5 digits) that is to be used,
- Check that the system can run at 100Mbps Full Duplex - if not contact Wiersma@Cardiff.ac.uk or Beedie@Cardiff.ac.uk,
- Submit the completed GRID Permission to Connect form to: Operators, Information Services, 39/41 Park Place.
1Gbps GRID Connection
To request a 1Gbps GRID connection you must:
- Seek approval from the GRID Technical Group for a Gbps connection, specifying Copper TX or Fibre SX and Connector type (SC, SMC, FTC),
- Agree with the Technical Group where the system will be located. Gbps Fibre NICs must be located in a GRID-enabled LAN Room. If this is not possible, the applicant will need to fund a dedicated fibre (estimated cost £2000-£3000) and fibre patch leads. Currently, SC, SMC and FTC connector types are supported,
- Submit a completed GRID Permission to Connect form to: Operators, Information Services, 39/41 Park Place.