Skip to content
Skip to navigation menu

 

Timeline 1951-1980

What follows, in timeline form, is a brief account of some major milestones of Welsh history and the development of medical education in Wales.

1953

First university-funded Chair of Anaesthesia in the UK created in the Medical School with William Mushin appointed to the Chair. A year later in 1954, Arthur ‘Pop’ Watkins becomes the first Professor of Child Health.

 

Professor Arthur G. Watkins
Professor Arthur G. Watkins - Eminent paediatrician

Back to top

1959

Temporary accommodation for Medical School Administration, together with the library and staff refectory. (Vacated when staff are moved to the Heath site in 1971.) Publication of Prof. William Mushin’s "Automatic ventilation of the lungs" an exhaustive treatment of all extant lung ventilators - widely accepted as a classic work on the subject.

 

Professor William Mushin
Professor William Mushin

 

Medical School Building, Newport Road, Cardiff
Medical School Building, Newport Road, Cardiff

Back to top

1960

Electron microscopy is used to quickly distinguish between chickenpox and smallpox viruses during the South Wales smallpox epidemic that originated in Pontypool.

 

Smallpox virus
Smallpox virus (magnified x150,000)

Archibald ‘Archie’ Cochrane is appointed David Davies Professor of Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases with responsibility for the Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases Course. He negotiates a place in the university curriculum for epidemiology and medical statistics. "I wanted all the students . . . to appreciate the value of good data collection and analysis . . ."

 

Archie Cochrane with Miner and X-Ray
Archie Cochrane explaining progressive fibrosis to one of the miners at Ferndale Colliery during the first Rhondda Fach Survey.
(Picture: Crown copyright. From Archie Cochrane's autobiography "One Man's Medicine". Reproduced with permission of the Controller of HMSO and Queen's Printer for Scotland.)

Back to top

1961

 

Professor Brian E.D. Cooke
Professor Brian E.D. Cooke

On 1st August, Professor Brian E.D. Cooke (pictured above) made Dean-Elect of the Dental School, University College, 36 Newport Road, Cardiff.

The Dental School, 36 Newport Road, Cardiff (1961-1965)
The Dental School, 36 Newport Road, Cardiff (1961-1965)

Back to top

1962

Professor Brian E.D. Cooke assumed the office of Dean of the Dental School, University College, Cardiff, a post he held until 1982.

Building commences on the site chosen at the Heath Park, Cardiff for the University Hospital of Wales, Ysbyty Athrofaol Cymru, with plans for a Dental School and Medical School as part of the complex.

 

Foundations being laid at Heath Park, Cardiff for the new University Hospital of Wales
Foundations being laid at Heath Park, Cardiff for the new University Hospital of Wales

Back to top

1963

Building work starts on the new Dental School and Hospital c. 1963
Building work starts on the new Dental School and Hospital c. 1963

Building work starts on the new Dental School and Hospital at the Heath Park site, Cardiff.

Back to top

1964

In October, 23 dental students were admitted for the first time to pre-clinical courses at University College, Cardiff. Five Senior Lecturers were also appointed, together with supporting clerical staff.

Back to top

1965

In October, the first dental students commenced their clinical studies at the Dental School and Hospital, Cardiff.

Student under instruction in the Phantom Head Laboratory
Student under instruction in the Phantom Head Laboratory

Back to top

1966

As part of a national plan to expand Dental Education, originally proposed in the Teviot Report in 1945, the Dental School and Hospital is officially opened by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

 

Dental Hospital
Dental Hospital

 

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

Back to top

1967

The first phase of the Tenovus Institute for Cancer Research opened by HRH The Princess Margaret on the Heath Park site.

 

Phase one of the Tenovus Institute for Cancer Research
Phase one of the Tenovus Institute for Cancer Research

Back to top

1968

Professor Archie Cochrane writes, "Effectiveness and Efficiency: Random Reflections on the Health Service" — the concept of evidence-based medicine is born.

 

Effectiveness and Efficiency cover
Birth of evidence-based medicine

The first degrees and prizes in Dental Surgery were awarded by the University of Wales.

The first Dental Surgery graduates, June 1968
The first Dental Surgery graduates, June 1968

Back to top

1969

The School for Dental Hygienists was opened at the Dental School and Hospital, Cardiff, under the control of Surgeon Captain Derek Goodridge, Honorary Dental Surgeon to the Queen.

Back to top

1970

Intake of dental students at the Dental School and Hospital, Cardiff, raised from 23 to 50 students per year.

Back to top

1971

Formal opening of the £20m Medical Teaching Centre incorporating the 800-bedded University Hospital of Wales and the WNSM by HRH The Queen. Gwilym Prys Davies, Chairman of the Welsh Hospitals Board, speaking at the opening says, "It is not only a fine modern building with the best possible equipment and facilities: it is the first of a new integrated teaching hospital/ medical school designed for patient care, medical education and research".

 

HM The Queen attending the official opening of UHW and WNSM
HM The Queen attending the official opening of UHW and WNSM

Extending the remit of broadening the academic activities of the WNSM a Director of Nursing Studies is appointed after generous benefaction by the Jane Hodge Foundation. Course of studies leading to Bachelor of Nursing of the University of Wales commences.

 

Christine Chapman, first Director of Nursing Studies at WNSM.
Christine Chapman, first Director of Nursing Studies at WNSM.

Back to top

1973

In May, WNSM is designated by the World Health Organisation as an international reference centre for the classification of endocrine tumours.

 

World Health Organisation Logo

Back to top

1975

Cardiff Palliator

University Grants Committee (UGC) enables WNSM to increase its intake of medical students to 150 a year. A team, led by Dr (later Professor) Mike Rosen from the Anaesthetics Dept, developed the first Patient Controlled Analgesia (PCA) equipment. A prototype, called the Cardiff Palliator (left) is designed and built by Justin McCarthy and Roger Jones from the Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering Unit, University Hospital of Wales.

Back to top

1976

Tenovus Institute scientists embark on studies into the effects of Tamoxifen on plasma hormone levels in patients with advanced breast cancer.

 

Human breast cancer cells
Human breast cancer cells

Back to top

1977

The new Director of the School for Dental Hygienists, Tom Carpenter DFC, appointed at the Dental School and Hospital, Cardiff.

Back to top

1979

The UGC’s Medical Sub-Committee endorses WNSM’s ‘all-Wales’ role in clinical medical education.

 

Pre-clinical buildings, Cathays Park, Cardiff.
Pre-clinical buildings, Cathays Park, Cardiff.